La Salle Academy of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is an independent Catholic grade school owned by our committed Board of Trustees and conducted in the traditions of the Christian Brothers and the Sisters of Saint Joseph. In the tradition of these communities, La Salle Academy is dedicated to educating children in grades 3 through 8 whose potential is limited by financial, social, academic, or emotional challenges, and whose parents and guardians desire, but cannot afford, a Catholic education. In the fall of 2003, La Salle Academy opened its doors in West Kensington to serve the poorest of the poor in Philadelphia. We continue this mission today.
La Salle Academy provides a small class size (no more than 15), an extended day and year, and the academic, social, and spiritual support necessary for students to achieve success and to be lifelong learners. With a strong awareness of Christ in themselves and others, La Salle Academy students and graduates are confident of their self-worth and will be of service to the communities in which they live.
WE SERVE THE POOREST OF THE POOR
- The average family income for a family of four is only $18,500
- 100% of our families qualify for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program
- 8% of our students live in Kinship Care
- 34% of our students are from Single-Parent homes
- 54% of our students live in a Two-Parent household
- 3% of our students live in Foster Care
- 1% of our students have one parent incarcerated
WE HAVE A UNIQUELY DIVERSE STUDENT POPULATION
- 38% Latino
- 25% Mixed
- 24% African American
- 13% Caucasian
LA SALLE ACADEMY MAKES A PROVEN DIFFERENCE
- Approaching a 90% High School Graduation Rate
- 96% Daily Attendance
- 94% Retention Rate
- 20 point average increase in Terra Nova Scores over six years
Our Model Works!
- The parent or Guardian commitment to education
- Extended School Day from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Extended School Year (Sept. – July)
- Structured, mixed-age after school activities
- Experienced and certified teachers
- Comprehensive Graduate Support Program
- Full-time social worker on staff
The Goals of La Salle Academy
Promote the spiritual, moral, intellectual, emotional, social, and physical development of its students, staff, and benefactors.
- Follow a rigorous, rounded academic program that provides students with the knowledge, strategies, and attitudes to become successful learners, responsible adults, and empowered members of society.
- Involve parents, guardians, and other caregivers in their child's education.
- Be financially accessible to all its students.
The students and staff established school-wide goals that we repeat each morning. Those goals are to be Peaceful, Responsible, Consistent, Motivated, and Respectful. La Salle Academy established the Character Education and Development Program to combine these important goals with life skills and daily activities. We strive to instill in our students the foundation of a good character with strong leadership skills and a willingness to serve others.
La Salle Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national and/or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies and scholarship, athletic, and other school-administered programs.